Tuesday 23 June 2015

The kindest words...

Today was the fourth-last day of school.

For me, it was my fourth-last day as our school's Music Teacher.  As I explained in
this post I am going to be teaching Kindergarten full time next year, instead of half-time K and half-time Music.

As eager as I am for this year to be done, and as ready as I am for the summer and for the changes that are coming, part of me wishes I could just suspend time...just a little.  Just to soak up a few more moments.  Like today, at the year-end assembly, dressing up in Justin Bieber shirts, sideways hats, and busting out "Baby" with some kids, including students beat boxing and rapping (very well might I add!) just because we can.  Or spending almost an entire afternoon watching children face their stage fright, get up in front of their peers in class and share something, like a song on the piano or singing a solo.  Magical.

As one class arrived this afternoon, student after student after student came and handed me cards that they had made.  I almost lost it right there.  I didn't read the cards right then (for lack of time and the inevitable crying...) and then after a tough phone call about a kid, a parent meeting, and some more packing and cleaning for the big classroom move, I forgot about the cards.  Luckily I tucked them in my bag and they came flying out when I pulled out my laptop at home.

And boy, did I cry.

And question my decision.

And cry some more.

It is just too sweet not to share some highlights.

"You are the BEST music teacher ever.  You are fun, intelligent, smart.  Thank you.  I would not learn music if I did not know you."

"You have been a great music teacher over the years.  I miss you as a teacher.  You have an amazing voice and I think you can play every instrument in the world."
(aw...not even close, but so sweet!)

"I will miss you as my music teacher, I have never met someone quite the same as you."

"I'm going to miss you because you're my first music teacher I know and you taught us everything you know.  Thank you for that."
(aw...hopefully not everything...)

"You were the best music teacher a kid could imagine.  You were strict for the good of things.  I'm just so sad I don't wanna taco bout it."
(yes....she drew a little picture of a taco.  Amazing.)

This one made me laugh the hardest;
"The year was awesome.  You made it a year to remember by putting on the Spring Production just using your powers.  It was spectacular.  You are amazing.  I wish we could make this year a bit longer."
(oh yes....my POWERS!!!!!  And yeah...I kinda wish we could make the year longer, too.
Sniff, sniff...)

And the one that just hit me like a ton of bricks;
"I loved the Spring Production that you made this year, it was fun.  Music will always be in your heart.  You will still play instruments but at home not at school.  You will always be a music teacher inside your heart."
(Ouch.  But the best kind of ouch.)

I'm sorry...I can't see the screen anymore...excuse me while I get a tissue.
Maybe the whole box.


No comments:

Post a Comment